For a dictator who ruled Russia during the 20th century and killed 48M people; “the death of a man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic”1. For the law and the lawyers who defend it, people who suffer innocently are not numbers on a graph; they are human beings who deserve to recover from their suffering. Therefore, this article will talk about these 3 topics:
(1) The incidence of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) in the modern world
(2) The impact a TBI has on a person’s life
(3) The reason why the severity of TBI makes its victims even more deserving of compensation
THE INCIDENCE OF TBI IN THE MODERN WORLD
According to recent studies2, “69 million individuals worldwide are estimated to sustain a TBI each year”. The sector of the world where the highest number of TBI accidents occur is North America with 1299 cases/100,000 inhabitants, 25% of them that are caused during road traffic collisions.
Note: Since many TBIs derive from traffic accidents, you may be interested in this article that talks about how to successfully overcome a traffic accident.
Due to the number of people who suffer from it, some medical institutions and researchers have called it a “silent epidemic”3. But these are not simple “statistics”; they are tragedies that affect people’s lives daily.
IMPACT ON THE BRAIN THAT CAN COST THE INJURED’S LIFE
According to research carried out by brainline.org4, 56,000 people die in the US each year due to Traumatic Brain Injuries (153 deaths per day), and 282,000 people are hospitalized in the US for the same reason each year.
THE IMPACT OF A TBI ON A PERSON’S LIFE
If these injuries are only seen as blows to the head, the severity of the situation is not understood. These brain injuries have a profound impact on the daily lives of people who suffer them, making it difficult for them to do even the simplest tasks.
• A man who has suffered a TBI may find it difficult to see or lose his vision completely. He will not be able to see beautiful landscapes, television, or the messages sent to his e-mail (Occipital Lobe5).
• A woman experiencing a TBI will have difficulty speaking and organizing words before saying them. She will not be able to speak with her children fluently nor expressively tell her husband how she feels (Frontal6 and Temporal Lobes7).
• A boy who suffers from a TBI due to a car accident will find it difficult to walk and will lose balance. He will not be able to play with his friends in the park or practice sports like the rest of the children of his age (Cerebellum8).
How much this disease affects people’s lives! And the worst thing is to think that all these problems were created by a person who through irresponsibility and his own negligence caused irreparable harm to others. That is why not everything is there, it is for that reason that something can be done about it.
RECEIVE THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE FOR BRAIN DAMAGES
TBI survivors must hire a personal injury lawyer to receive the compensation they deserve and need to cover the medical expenses that come with them.
Although the dictator we mentioned at the beginning has already died, today many people have the same antipathy for human life as him. If you were injured by someone else’s fault, find a personal injury lawyer in Richmond Hill who will stop this kind of people from continuing to harm others.