A Recommended Post-Accident Procedure

If your body has received a sudden jolt, because you have been in a car accident, then there are certain steps that you ought to take. By following this recommended procedure, you should get the care that you need, while protecting any possible personal injury claim.

Step 1: Get Medical Attention

Even if you have no visible injuries, you should still see a doctor. Let the doctor check for any hidden spot where the jolt that you experienced has harmed your body. Listen to the doctor’s diagnosis and to the suggested treatment program. Be sure to start and continue with that same treatment.
At the same time, you will be getting a record of your injury. That record will be part of the doctor’s report. It can be accessed by a lawyer, if you choose to file a claim.

Step 2: File Your Own Report

If you have been involved in a collision, then you must file a report with the police. If you have fallen on a section of poorly-maintained property, then you need to file a report with the property owner. If you have been bitten by a dog, then you should file a report with the dog’s owner.

Step 3: Start Collecting Information

If you choose to file a claim, the information in your doctor’s report will not be enough to counter all the statements that might be made by the defendant. You must gather more evidence of a specific fact. You must have proof of the fact that you did not contribute to the carelessness and the failures that caused one vehicle to collide with one or more other vehicles.
While you are at the scene of the collision you can start to collect the evidence that can be used to support that specific proof. Seek out witnesses that you can talk to, regarding what they saw, as the vehicles collided. Take photographs of the scene, or see if someone else can take some pictures for you. If your automobile has been so severely damaged that it needs to be towed, find out where the tow truck will be taking it.

Step 4: Contact a lawyer

Do not wait until the last minute, even though the court gives you 2 years in which to file a claim. If you go to a lawyer at the last minute, that same attorney may not be able to complete and file all the papers before the stated deadline.

Avoid taking any of these actions

Do not give a recorded statement to your insurance company right after the accident. It is best to allow your personal injury lawyer in Vaughan. Do not sign any document, unless you have spoken to your attorney about that same document. You should allow time to pass, so that you can better assess the extent of your injuries and the true value of what you have lost, as a result of the accident.

More to explorer